CFO Roundtables with Treasury
Calling charity CFOs..
We are inviting your interest in a CFO Roundtable with Treasury in Melbourne (20 July) or Sydney (21 July).
At hand is an important issue that could affect capital flow into the sector: Treasury are considering the implications of changes to the treatment of ancillary fund loans and other forms of investment to DGR charities.
At present the treatment of these loans allows the ancillary fund to only count any gap between market interest rates and the interest rate charged by the ancillary fund as a contribution towards their required annual disbursement (5% of their funds have to be disbursed if they are PAFs, 4% if they are PuAFs). So if ancillary fund A invests in a charity and asks for a 2% return they may be able to claim only the foregone return of up to 2.5% (assuming 4.5% market rate) as a disbursement.
CCA CFO Roundtables bring CFO leaders together on issues affecting the future of our sector. We are pleased to invite CFOs from beyond our membership to support this Treasury consultation:
Melbourne: Thursday, 20 July – 10.45am – 12.45pm
Save the Children (Ground floor - Training room), 33 Lincoln Square South, Carlton
Sydney: Friday, 21 July, 10.45am – 12.45pm
Origin Foundation, 264-278 George St Sydney.
Request a place (subject to availability): email Deborah Smith at CCA: email@example.com.
The two hour consultation will be facilitated by the Treasury.
Treasury Consultation paper: http://www.treasury.gov.au/ConsultationsandReviews/Consultations/2017/Social-impact-investing
24. To what extent are the current arrangements for program related investments appropriate?
Should changes be made to:
- recognise the total loan, rather than only the discount rate between a commercial rate and the concessional loan rate, for the purposes of meeting the ancillary’s funds
minimum annual distribution; and
- allow ancillary funds to make program related investments to non-DGR organisations?
25. What is the level of demand from both DGR and non-DGR organisations who could be recipients of program related investments?
26. What are the costs of administration for organisations receiving program related investments compared with receiving irrevocable donations?
27. Given the recent changes to the ancillary fund guidelines regarding program related investments, and noting the issues associated with making further changes, are there alternative mechanisms for promoting program related investments outside of ancillary funds?